The Washington Capitals return home from their two-game road trip (0-1-1) to face the Carolina Hurricanes for the first time this year. Carolina is only the second Southeast Division foe they have faced so far, but the Capitals will play within the division in three of the next four games. Brent Johnson will get the start once again after a stellar performance against Ottawa.
What to Watch for:
- Carolina (7-3-2) leads the division with 16 points.
- The Hurricanes have won three of the past four games.
- Washington and Carolina split the season series last year (4-4).
- Carolina's penalty-kill at home is 70% and only 78% overall.
- The 'Canes give up an average of 33 shots a game, fourth highest in the league.
- Alex Ovechkin has scored 17 goals in his career against Carolina, good for the second-most among all teams (Alex has 20 career goals against Atlanta).
- Eric Staal averages more than four shots a game against Washington...Alex Ovechkin averages six shots a game versus Carolina.
- The Capitals have been shutout by Cam Ward more than any other team.
- Brent Johnson has a lifetime GAA of 2.94 and a 92% save percentage.
- Scott Walker was activated off the IR, and will play his second game of the season tonight.