The win came with a cost: Mike Green was knocked out of the game by a huge hit via Chris Pronger (surprisingly without an elbowing penalty). Green skated only five minutes, but picked up a goal and an assist in his limited ice time.
The Ducks continued to take penalties that resulted in three Washington goals off nine attempts. Anaheim was able to convert one goal on five opportunities. Overall, there were 20 infractions on the night.
Washington scored three goals in the first frame for the third time this season, and have scored three or more goals for seven straight games (6-0-1).
It's getting late, so I am going to keep it short, but here are a few other notes:
- Bobby Ryan scored his first and second goal of the year (two games played). He finished with three points (+2) and a TOI of 16ish.
- Jonas Hiller was yanked after six shots, giving up three goals in the first seven minutes. J.S. Gigure replaced him and made 25/27 saves.
- Yesterday I had a cool stat about Ryan Getzlaf...Good news for the Capitals is that Anaheim is now 51-5-4 when Getzlaf has a multi-point game. He finished with one goal and one assist.
- Alex Ovechkin took a spear in the baby-maker from Steve Montador in the third period, but he recovered. The spear looked Briere-like.
- David Steckel had just his second career game with more than one point. Stecks put up five SOG (one goal, one assist) in 14 minutes on the ice. Eric Fehr also played well, registering four shots in nine minutes.
- The Capitals are now 19-0-1 in the past two seasons when either Donald Brashear, Boyd Gordon (one assist), or Matt Bradley (one goal) score a goal.