One game after scoring his first game-winning goal of his career, Alexandre Giroux will face the team that drafted him in the 7th round--213th overall, 1999--the Ottawa Senators. Giroux never suited up for the Sens at the NHL level, and this will be the first time he is playing against them...
Oskar Osala meanwhile played 11:15 in his NHL debut. Osala became the first Capitals player drafted in the 4th round or later to play in the NHL in nine years. The Hershey Bears, by the way, ended their franchise-best streak of winning 11 in-a-row. The Bears lost to San Antonio 3-0 in the first ever meeting between the two teams.
It looks as though the Capitals might get some help back tonight, with both Sergei Fedorov and Mike Green itching to play. Sean Collins is still traveling with the team...for now...but would likley be the scratch if Greener is able to go. Washington is 11-4-3 with Green in the lineup, and 5-6 without him.
- Ottawa is one of four teams in the Eastern Conference with a record below .500.
- The Senators are last in the league in goals for (63). Washington is seventh, with 91 goals for.
- Ottawa averages 1.82 goals-per-game in away matches.
- Ottawa has scored the first goal of the game in eight of the last nine games (4-2-3). The only game that they did not score first in that span was a 2-0 loss to Chicago on Wednesday night. Ottawa is just 1-7-1 when trailing first.
- The Sens have not won at the Verizon Center since March 2006.