The Caps take the extra point in the shootout against Nashville, 4-3, with goals coming from Alex Semin and Michael Nylander in the shootout.
The Capitals came out firing against the Predators, out-shooting them 19-4 in the first period. Viktor Kozlov scored his first goal of the season halfway through the first period to give the Caps the lead. That was short-lived as Ville Koistinen tied the game the Power Play at just 1:46 after Koz’s marker.
Michael Nylander was penalized just two minutes after the Backstrom penalty that led to Nashville’s first goal, but this time with a man down, there was a different outcome. Alex Semin proved why he is so lethal on the Penalty Kill, relaying a pass to David Steckel who connected for his second (short-handed) goal of the season.
Three goals were scored in 3:25 and Washington held the upper-hand, 2-1 going into intermission. Nashville is 0-3 (now 0-4) when losing after the first period.
The ageless Jason Arnott scored his fourth goal in just six games to even the score at two midway through the second period. Nashville matched Washington’s seven shots for the second frame, and it remained tied headed into the third.
Alex Semin tallied his league leading, eighth goal of the year on the Power Play just 1:58 into the third, with Joel Ward in the box for boarding. Semin ripped it top shelf, and Dan Ellis did not have a chance. Washington was 1-5 on the Power Play, while Nashville struggled to finish 1-7.
The Preds’ outplayed the Caps the whole period and were rewarded with Arnott’s second goal of the night at 12:24. Nashville had the upper-hand all throughout the final frame, out shooting the Caps 15-3.
After a scoreless Overtime period, the game headed into the shootout, where the Caps are already 1-1 in extra time. After three rounds, Semin’s goal was answered by Koistinen’s tally to send it into the sudden death rounds. Michael Nylander put the puck past Ellis on his attempt, and Martin Erat was stoned by surprise-starter, Jose Theodore to end the game. Theo was mobbed by the team and have now won two straight.
- Jose Theodore was announced the starter, which was a surprise for most of us.
- At one point, JT60 had stopped just 5 of 7 shots.
- Before tonight, the Capitals last win without Alex Ovechkin playing was before the lockout.
- In the second period, Nashville had a streak of over six minutes without a shot.
- Alex Semin scored his first Power Play goal of the season.
- Washington has committed at least 4 penalties in all games thus far.
- Mike Green skated 29:28 with an assist and four shots.
- Nicklas Backstrom has points in two straight games after being held without a point for 5 of the first 6 games.
- John Erskine did NOT take a penalty and had a time on ice of just under 20 minutes.
- The teams split face-offs wins, 32-32